1. I’m not sure which sounds better: President Barack Obama or former President George W. Bush.
2. I watched the inauguration on cnn.com with a couple of my coworkers. We saw Joe Biden get sworn in and Aretha Franklin and everything was going fine until about two minutes before Obama was to be sworn in and then the video started hanging up so we missed the actual swearing-in and ended up listening to the inaugural address on the radio. My favorite line of the address: “We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals.” Amen.
3. I thought about how different awful yesterday (and the next four years) would have been if John McCain had won the election. I imagined Sarah Palin up there taking the oath of office. The image in my head was of her finishing up the oath with “So help me god” and then immediately turning her head to the crowd and giving them a quick wink. Shudder.
4. I think Obama will be a very good president. Sure, he’ll always be remembered as the first black president but he seems very levelheaded and he has big ideas and it wouldn’t surprise me if he turns out to be one of the great presidents.
5. Is it just me or did Bush use the phrase “no terrorist attacks on American soil since September 11” an awful lot in his exit interviews? Nevermind all the dead soldiers. They died in Iraq so it doesn’t count. And what about the DC snipers? I bet DC residents felt a bit terrorized when that was going on. I’m going to stop now.